Delta G.E.M.S. Institute (Growing and Empowering Myself Successfully) is an extension of the Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy program and is designed for at-risk girls ages 14 to 18 years old. Delta G.E.M.S. provides the framework to actualize those dreams through the performance of specific tasks that develop a “CAN DO” attitude. The goals for Delta G.E.M.S. are:
- To instill the need to excel academically
- To provide tools that enable girls to enhance their skills to achieve high levels of academic success
- To assist girls in proper goal setting and planning for their futures
- To create compassionate, caring, and community-minded young women by actively involving them in service-learning and community service opportunities
The Delta G.E.M.S. framework is composed of five major components (Scholarship, Sisterhood, Show Me the Money, Service, and Infinitely Complete), forming a road map for college and career planning. Topics within the five major components are designed to provide interactive lessons and activities that provide opportunities for self-reflection and individual growth.
Rules & Responsibilities of Delta G.E.M.S. Participants & Parent(s)/Guardian(s)
- Bring GEMS to all sessions on time
- Be on time to pick up GEMS
- Return all permission forms or parental information requested
- Be available during GEMS sessions for emergencies or provide emergency contact
- Arrive on time for each session
- Contact GEMS program leads at least 2 days in advance if a session will be missed
- Complete all assignments as asked
- Actively participate in all sessions
- Turn off cell phones during the session
- Do not use profanity
- Disruptive behavior can lead to removal from the program
- Adhere to “appropriate” attire
- Maintain a professional attitude and character
- Young Women
- 14 – 18 who are in Grades 9 through 12.
- Have potential, but need guidance, support, and skills to achieve success.
- Interested in developing leadership skills.
- Actively pursuing college and/or career options.
- Need encouragement and support in pursuit of higher learning.
- Identified by authorized partners of Delta chapters and/or former Delta Academy participants.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
The Delta G.E.M.S. application process is open for the 2023-2024 program year. We are accepting applications now through July 1st.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: send an email to email@example.com