Information & Applications
Graduating High School Seniors Scholarship
(scroll down on this page to view the scholarship details for Graduating HS Seniors)
(click here to view the scholarship details for Non-traditional students)
Graduating High School Seniors
The Charlotte Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. annually grants scholarships to African-American high school seniors who will enroll in an accredited institution of higher education. All students must be currently enrolled in a Mecklenburg County high school. All of the scholarships are a minimum of $2,500 each.
Educational Support Award may be offered to applicants who are not one of our top scholarship award recipients. The awards will ba a minimum of $1,000 each.
All applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on April 3, 2021 using the online application provided in the link below. Likewise, all letters of recommendation must be submitted online using the online link provided below. The link can also be found in the scholarship application. We will not accept any hard copy applications or hard copy letters of recommendation.
Upon receiving and reviewing the scholarship applications, the Scholarship Committee will select applicants to participate in the interview process. Due to the anticipated high number of applicants, all applicants will not be selected for an interview. Only the top applicants in each scholarship category will be selected for interviews. The applicant interviews will be conducted in April 2021.
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated Debutantes and immediate family members of the Charlotte Alumnae Chapter are NOT eligible to apply for any of these scholarships and will not receive any of the scholarship awards
Our 2021 scholarship categories and criteria are listed below:
Bertha M. Roddey “Centennial” Scholarship (four-year award) – $20,000 total
The “Dr. Bertha Maxwell Roddey Delta Sigma Theta “Centennial” Scholarship Award”, is the highest scholarship recognition of the Charlotte Alumnae Chapter, recognizes a female Charlotte area high school senior who is well-rounded, has excelled academically, gives of her time freely, and has exceptional leadership skills.
Scoggins/Shadd “Breaking Barriers” Scholarship (non-renewable, one-year award)
The Dorothy Counts Scoggins/E. Virginia Shadd – “Breaking Barriers” Award is a one-year scholarship that recognizes female high school seniors attending Mecklenburg County high schools. It is named in honor of two members of our illustrious sorority who were leaders and “broke barriers” in the Charlotte Mecklenburg School System.
Frances Selena Johnson “Making Strides” Scholarship (non-renewable, one-year award)
Daisy Spears Stroud “Academic Achievement” Scholarship (non-renewable, one-year award)
- Must be a graduating African-American female senior
- Must be a student enrolled in a Mecklenburg County public or private school
- Must have a weighted cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Must plan to attend a four-year institution of higher education in the U.S. during the upcoming academic year
- Must submit two letters of recommendation
- Must write an essay (300 min. – 500 max. words)
- Must scan a certified copy of his/her high school transcript and be prepared to upload the transcript to the scholarship application website. The certified transcript must reflect your cumulative GPA and include your grades from the first semester of your senior year
YOU MAY APPLY FOR MORE THAN ONE SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
If there are any questions regarding the above information or the scholarship application process, please contact the Scholarship Committee at email@example.com.
Here are four reasons to support The Charlotte Alumnae Chapter (in partnership with the Deltas of Charlotte Foundation) Inaugural Scholarship Fundraiser:
- The ticket supports the “Charlotte Alumnae Chapter Advancing the Dream” Scholarship for adult non-traditional students attending college
- The Gala will feature a DJ AND entertainment by The Sounds of Blackness!
- Fabulous silent auction items
- A portion of the ticket is tax-deductible
Information on our next fundraiser is to be determined to Covid restrictions. Check back later for updates.